Mangoes, monkeys and Maggie

Chris and Maggie
in Masindi

Sunday 20 July 2008

HOW TO SPEAK 'MASINDI'





IDIOMS - HOW TO SPEAK ‘MASINDI’

A few days ago I realised that I’d said to someone “You are lost”. It was only then that it occurred to me how I’ve not only become accustomed to the local idioms but that I’m also using them myself!

Here are a few I regularly hear:

I’m going for a short call - I need a pee
I’m going for a long call - I may be some time, I need to find somewhere to defecate quietly!
It got finished - I forgot to order any more
It got spoilt - I can’t be bothered to fix it
I am through - I have finished eating, you may clear my plate
Now - I’ll do it tomorrow or possibly some time next week
Now now - Today
Yes - I don’t really understand what you’re saying but I’ll agree to it anyway
It’s behind - You’ll find it in the kitchen
Are we together? - Do you have any idea what I’m talking about?
I’m somehow - I could be feeling better
I’m fine - I’m still breathing
I’m a little bit fine - I’m at death’s door
I’ve got Flu - My nose is running
I’ve got Malaria - I think I might have had a temperature
The day is somewhat okay- No problems today
He’s around - He hasn’t come to work yet
Let me struggle - Of course I don’t know how to do it but I’ll work it out somehow
Can you assist me? - I’d like something from you (money)
It is disturbing me - It’s a conundrum
Ugandans are time bad- Expect a meeting to start 2 hrs later than scheduled
Greet me to ………… - Please give my regards to……..
You are lost - I haven’t seen you for a day or two

MAGGIE



The four pictures of hospital vehicles covers the whole fleet of vehicles. Unfortunately only one of these vehicles is driveable, I will not say roadworthy because it would not be in the UK.
The maternity ambulance has had its two front wheels stolen several weeks ago. The British ambulance kindly donated by a rotary club has a flat tyre and leaks oil, the pick up is leaking oil and is jacked up on rocks, the old ambulance does travel but you have to stop now and again to reconnect the battery.
The Pajero which we managed to get back on the road a couple of months ago has two flat tyres and has been parked in a police compound at Kyrandango for the last three weeks. The tyres need replacing and there is no budget.
The hospital is waiting for its allocation from central government which is 2 months late. At present they are 60 million ugandan shillings in debt. This means that vehicle maintenance is low priority.
Travel in Uganda is a challenge and visiting the community health centres and home visiting of patients is difficult. I should have learnt how to ride a motorbike!

CHRIS

No comments: